Unexpected Pregnancy: 5 Reasons to Speak with a Pregnancy Counselor
- So you can be confident you’ve made an informed decision.You actually have several unplanned pregnancy options you can make. You can have an abortion, choose to parent, or choose other parents for the child. How much do you already know about each of these options? If you’re like most people, you know just a little bit about each – what it would realistically look like for you after you make that decision, what all is involved, and how you will feel. You want to make sure you know all the facts so that you can prevent making a decision you regret later in life. Your pregnancy counselor will help you think through your life, goals, and plans, as well as your child’s.
- So you can receive information and guidance without pressure.If/when you share this news with family and friends, everyone will have opinions about what they feel you should do. It can be overwhelming to hear so many opinions without first having the space to decide for yourself what is best for you and your baby. At Lifeline, our pregnancy counselors are trained to help you think through each option, providing you with accurate information and the space to consider your next steps. Only YOU can know what’s best for you and your baby. Our pregnancy counselors will never pressure you to make any specific choice.
- So that you have an advocate on your side.Whether it’s figuring out how to tell your parents, the baby’s father, or how to prepare for questions from nurses in the hospital, it can help to have an advocate who is there to help you. If you decide to pursue adoption, for instance, your pregnancy counselor will work with you directly, not the adoptive parents. They have a separate worker, so that your social worker is able to advocate for YOUR desires, YOUR concerns, and YOUR priorities.
- So that if you choose adoption, you have an expert to help you.Most people know the least about the option of adoption, but for many women it can be the best decision for them! Your pregnancy counselor talks with you about how much of an open adoption you’d like, what kind of family you want to raise your child, and how to find trained, loving couples looking to adopt. You are not on your own! They can help you make an adoption plan for your baby, while ensuring you work with the best adoption consultants.
- So that you can get the support you need.Regardless of which choice you choose for yourself and your baby, you will need support! Lifeline is connected with fantastic organizations who can help you! Whether you decide to parent your child and need help getting baby items, or you’re looking for resources on how to deal with grief and loss, we have the connections that we can make personally for you. We want to be there with you and make sure you have good, supportive people on your side!
If you would like to speak with one of our local pregnancy counselors, reach out to our 24/7 FREE, HOTLINE by live chat, text, or phone at 1-800-875-5595. Or you can submit a request for one of our Pregnancy Counselors to reach out to you.