What If I Change My Mind? Can I Change My Adoption Plan?

When you think about placing your baby for adoption, you consider a lot of things:

You may also wonder, “Can I change my mind?” or “Can I back out of the adoption?”

YES, if at any point before placing your baby for adoption you decide to parent, you can stop the adoption plan! Our pregnancy counselors work with women at any point in their pregnancy. Whether you just found out you’re in an unplanned pregnancy or you are due any day and need a last minute adoption plan, we can work with you. No matter when you contact us, your worker will get to know you and your desires for your baby. She will help you see adoption is not giving up a child for adoption, but making a plan and part of that plan is also thinking through all your options. She will talk with you about both parenting and making an adoption plan for your baby. You get to choose which option is best!

Adoption laws, and how long you have to change your mind, are different in each State. It’s important to work with a local agency that can explain your State’s laws and connect you with free legal help. Our pregnancy counselors walk with you through this and are YOUR advocate through the process. They work with you, instead of the adoptive parents.

Our job is to help you as you plan for your child, whether that’s parenting or choosing the parents for your child. If you choose adoption, and at any point change your mind and decide to parent, we will support you in your decision!

After the baby is born, we talk with you again about the decision to sign adoption paperwork. We want you to be confident before you sign, as this is a permanent document. We will never, ever have you sign if you are not confident this is the best choice for you and your child.

If you would like to talk with one of our Pregnancy Counselors, call or text our Free, 24/7 Hotline at 1-800-875-5595 or submit a request for a Pregnancy Counselor to contact you :

We Are Here for You Anytime!

Choose the way you would like to contact us

Back to top