How to Make an Adoption Plan
Whether you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, or for other reasons, started considering adoption for your baby but you are not sure where to begin. An adoption plan is a great way to layout what steps to take when placing your child with an adoptive family. Look at the list below for how to create an adoption plan that best fits your needs:
• Contact a Lifeline Pregnancy Counselor.
• Meet with a local, trained, and experienced pregnancy counselor to talk about your options, receive the pregnancy counseling you need and to make an adoption plan that fits your preferences.
• Get connected to local community resources such as Medicaid, prenatal care, and housing. Your counselor can connect you to these resources if needed.
• Meet with an attorney for any legal questions.
• Review our profile books and select pre-screened, trained, and loving adoptive families for your child. Profile books are scrapbooks our adoptive families made to give you a glimpse into their lives.
• Get to know the adoptive family, if you desire.
• Prepare for hospital time and post-placement time with your local pregnancy counselor. At the hospital, your pregnancy counselor will be there to support you (as much as you desire).
• Place your child with the adoptive family you have chosen. You will not sign legal paperwork until after your baby is born.
• Continue meeting with your local pregnancy counselor (if you desire) for grief support while you transition to a new normal.
• Connect with other birthmothers through our online community and annual Birthmothers Day Event.
You do not need to do this alone! Women call us at all stages of their pregnancy, or even after their child is born. Our pregnancy counselors desire to get to know you and support you at any point on your journey.
Are you considering adoption for your baby? Call or text 24/7 at 1(800)875-5595 or submit a request for a Pregnancy Counselor to reach out to you today!